A summer’s feast
Bristol Food Connections 2018
15th & 16th June
The Station, Silver Street Bristol BS1
I am standing outside a restaurant I haven’t been to before, reading the menu.
A menu is just words. It might try to conjure up flavours and season and texture and colour in the description of a dish. We say: that sounds delicious, I’ll have that.
Or it might just be words stripped back to nouns; the name of an ingredient or a cooking method, one we haven’t heard of maybe. We say: that sounds really interesting, I think I’ll have that
Or it might be the name of a dish. Cassoulet. And we know where are. So we say: That’s what I’m having, I love cassoulet
All good menus leave most to the imagination and so we need hope and faith.
So you can say: Here’s hoping.
What does June taste like?
With Sicilian & Middle Eastern influences
Seasonal, sustainable and organic ingredients
Who cares? We do
- Radishes, carrots, peppers, courgettes, broad beans, peas, chard, potatoes, flowers, herbs, salads
- Picked on the day, washed, cleaned, raw, salted, sliced, chopped, dressed, heated
- Pasta: agnolotti de plin (very small fresh pasta parcels) and other stories
- Home-made sheeps milk ricotta, eggs
- Fish and smoked fish
- Kelp, samphire and laver bread
- Pigeon, goat, offal
- Welsh, Bristol and Somerset cheeses
- Bread made with influences from France and India
- Nuts and dried fruit
- Gooseberries, raspberries, strawberries, Sicilian ice cream, lavender biscuits
A fully licensed bar with wines, beers and ciders chosen to go with the food. Watch out for the Summer Feast Gin Cocktail devised by acclaimed Bristol mixologist….