Minestrone Soup by Barny Haughton
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 100g pancetta rinds removed and roughly chopped
- 2-3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 small leek, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
- 75g long grain rice or macaroni
- 2-4 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley, to taste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- shaved Parmesan cheese, to serve
Heat the oil in a large pan. Add pancetta, celery, carrots, leek and onion and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the vegetables are soft.
Add garlic and potato and cook, stirring for 5mins. Add the tinned tomatoes then half cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer gently for about 15 minutes.
Add the rice or pasta then bring to the boil again and simmer for 15-20 minutes, check consistency and add more liquid if necessary. Stir in parsley and taste for seasoning.
Serve hot, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.